[thelist] Procrastinating Variables

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Dec 12 11:35:01 CST 2002

Hi Rob,

One way would be to dump the db entry, save it as a text file, and
then view it in an editor that supports hex mode. (I use UltraEdit-32
but I'm pretty sure a lot of editors will let you do that.)

Another way would be to write a routine to go through that field,
character-by-character, print the ascii code and look for "odd" or
'out-of-range' entries.

The simplest way is to delete the db entry and retype it by hand ... as
opposed to copying it from Word or something.  This way won't tell you
if you had an elf ... but it may make the problem go away. (Which is
kind of an indirect proof I guess.)

HTH,

RonL.