[thelist] [SEO] maintaining listings

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Thu Dec 12 12:11:01 CST 2002

> question form a client
>
> > 2. The search engine optimisation service you have quoted us on -
understand
> > how you can optimise once at the build stage and submit to search
engines
> > but how do we keep the service at the top of the main searches? is there
> > cost effective service out there and do we need one in your view?

sounds like your client gets the kind of spam that I do..."we'll submit you
to 350,000 search engines, detailed reports of rankings, etc etc"

hogwash.

any engine worth it's salt these days will find you if you have a link
somewhere poining at you.

directories are another matter. my advice to clients is that *they* should
do any submitting to directories, as they are most informed in their subject
area (hopefully), can select the best category to submit to, write the best
summary, etc.

then i usually sit with them and walk them through submitting to dmoz. once
they're in dmoz (if they get in), they *really* don't have to worry about
any of that submitting garbage, because all the worthwhile engines crawl
dmoz.

nagrom