[thelist] IIS/ASP: Accessing shared drive

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Dec 13 07:35:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Schaefer" <ken at adOpenStatic.com>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 12:40 AM

> Drive letters are only mapped for the logged on user.
>
> Hence, if you map a drive letter (L:), then this is mapped for your user
> account only. Hence, if you use basic authentication (rather than
anonymous)
> drive L: will be available.

Good info, thank you.  But, alas, I think I finally found a solution.  The
version of IIS that comes with Win 2k (6?) supports creating virtual folders
on remote machines.  So, I created the virtual folder in IIS, plugged in the
UNC name of the folder I wanted to access, and it prompted me for a username
and password for the remote box.  :-)  Exactly what I hoped for.  I tested
it out on the anonymous and secure sites and it worked beautifully.

Thanks again for your input.  I heard that this configuration may not work
on some older versions of IIS, so I'm sure your input will be very useful.

-joshua