[thelist] RDF Information?

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Fri Dec 13 08:48:01 CST 2002

>    I've written a nice application to harvest newsfeeds and such from
>various websites and aggregators and everything works perfectly fine 'cept
>just can't seem to grasp the XML syntax of an RDF feed. Can anyone point me
>towards a goof tutorial / explanation?

You and me both, buddy. :)

When I brought this up a couple years back on the RSS 1.0 mailing list,
right after they <cough>hijacked</cough> RSS 0.91 into an RDF format, I was
told politely "it doesn't matter whether or not you understand it, because
it's the 'right' thing to do." Which means more people don't use it than do.
Oh well.

>    I want to wirte an XSLT document that will transform the RDF for my
>prefered output but I can't seem to refernce the nodes properly.

RSS 1.0 syntax is described here: http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/spec

Also, are you dealing with other versions of RSS as well? RSS 0.91 has the
widest penetration, but you wouldn't know it from the way the 1.0 crowd FUDs
it.

In fact, RSS 2.0 has been created to counter the 1.0 RDF push, and it is
based on RSS 0.91 with namespace support added for modularization purposes.
Sounds like a winner to me.

-dave