[thelist] Web services - what's the difference?

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Sun Dec 15 00:06:00 CST 2002

Lauri Vain wrote:
>>Can I also use JavaScript to pull these XML data files from
>>your API's?
>

> Not too familiar with JavaScript outside of features that help to
> enhance user interfaces, but I it probably is not possible. You would
> have to form a request and send it to a remote server and then use that
> data in an meaningful way -- I don't think you can do that with
> JavaScript. Besides, that's not generally the point of a Web Service.
> Web services are usually made for machines to interact and give
> information to the user.

I dunno how difficult it'd be to use web services as such, but you can
definitely request the external files, so it should be possible.

http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html

Also there are the following articles from scott andrew, which I haven't
checked out, but his stuff is usually good.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/webservices/ie5webservices.html
http://developer.apple.com/internet/webservices/mozillasoapapi.html
--
Lach