[thelist] EPS Files

Carl J Meyer cjmeyer at npcc.net
Thu Dec 19 10:23:01 CST 2002

Martyn,

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 08:10, Martyn Haigh wrote:
> I've noticed a bit of a problem when downloading the EPS files in windows,
> it automatically saves it as a PS file - stripping the E off the start of
> the extension.

Sounds like Windows is choosing its own extension based on the mime type
of the file, and it has .PS registered for that mime type.  I don't know
that there's anything you can do about that client behavior.  Maybe some
of the Javascript hackers here will have a solution for you - maybe
change the mime type somehow?

Of course you should think about whether you WANT to change this
behavior.  If the client doesn't recognize .EPS extension and wants its
postscript files .ps, you may just cause problems for the client by
trying to force a particular extension.

Carl