[thelist] CSS dynamic layer position

Carl J Meyer cjmeyer at npcc.net
Thu Dec 19 10:47:01 CST 2002

Rob,

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 08:29, Rob Whitener wrote:
> I haven't worked out all of the browser compatibility yet.  I guess I was
> naively hoping NN and IE would do.  Are Konqueror and Galeon similiar? (if I
> take care of one, is the other one taken care of as well?)

I know very little about Konqueror, never used KDE.  Galeon is just
chrome on top of the Mozilla engine, basically, and Mozilla does have a
decent userbase on multiple platforms.  I usually find it worth coding
for Mozilla anyway, as for my money it's the closest browser to W3C of
those in common usage.

<rant>
Really I think we should all code completely W3C strict and then add all
browser compatibility hacks as an afterthought.  With an alert saying
"your browser is broken, please contact the manufacturer".  :-)

I always cringe when I see people refer to the MSDN or Netscape
references as authoritative sources on DOM/javascript issues - go W3C
folks!  It's not like their reference standards aren't available.  Open,
peer-reviewed standards are the only reason the web exists, and they're
the only way it will continue to be useful.
</rant>

Carl