[thelist] decibel level detector.

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Dec 26 15:28:40 CST 2002

At 11:59 AM 12/21/2, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:
> Todd Ballardwrote:
>> Flash mx has the function to respond to sound! I've seen people
>> shouting at games made in flash. Maybe worth looking into!
>
> Will it respond to "Make it stop!" ??
> That's what most Flash I see makes me want to shout :-)

I missed the original request (and have too much holiday torpor to hit the
archives ;-), but yes, the Macromedia Flash Player 6 can perform crude
volume analysis, should the visitor give permission to access their mic.
The larger Shockwave Player has many more options for detecting or
manipulating audio within a web page, as shown by some of the extensions
listed at Gretchen Macdowall's site:
http://www.updatestage.com/products_table.html#Sound

For "If a site accepts advertising which is obnoxious enough to include
sound, then how can I turn it off while still enjoying the site?" then I
usually keep a set of earbuds plugged into my speakers to handle all types
of site, and for Flash ads give a context-click to unclick "Play".

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/