[thelist] decibel level detector.

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Thu Dec 26 18:12:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:06:18 -0000, Aral Balkan <aral at aralbalkan.com>
wrote:

>> > Will it respond to "Make it stop!" ??
>> > That's what most Flash I see makes me want to shout :-)
>
> We hear you and we're doing something about it.

That's the first good news I've heard about Flash in a long time.

> Please see Scott Manning's post on ActionScript.com on those "Damn Flash
> Pop-ups"
> (http://www.actionscript.com/archives/00000413.html), followed by my post
> on onRelease titled "Is Flash a dirty word?"
> (http://www.onrelease.org/index.php?p=79769730&more=1#more79769730).

Good reading.

> As you can see from those posts and the comments on them, the Flash
> community is very concerned about certain uninformed uses of Flash that
> have the very real possibility of jeopardizing Flash's future as the
> client-side technology of choice for web applications.

Good luck.  I've had JavaScript off for years because those clowns couldn't
control themselves.... popUps, popUnders, onLoad, onUnLoad... no thanks.

> If you feel strongly about these subjects, I invite you to come along and
> take part in phase one of our project and help us define Flash.

Thanks, I've got plenty on my plate.  Right now Flash is disabled (thanks
to "plugin-ignore.ini" file in Opera) and I have deleted the DLL for
several co-workers who found the ads annoying, distracting, and a big waste
of time.  None of them have reported having any problems actually using any
of the sites they visit.

BTW, did I mention that I do all my holiday shopping online?  Went to
Google looking for stores that sell something my wife wanted, saw a
sponsored text link, followed it, and bought from them?  It's not the ads
I'm against, it's the ads that are annoying, offensive, overly distracting,
etc.

After I placed my order, I told the guy "By the way, tell the folks in the
marketing department that their non-intrusive text ad on Google is what
gave them the sale." The sales guy had no idea what to say.

Images off, javascript and flash disabled.... oh, and I wear out the MUTE
button on my remote blocking out commercials on TV... if I'm too slow and
we hear an obnoxious commercial my wife will ask "So what is it that they
are selling so we are sure to never ever buy one?"  Think I'm kidding?  My
mother *still* doesn't buy some brand of laundry soap that had an
insulting/obnoxious commercial on TV in the late 70s!

A well-placed, understated, sponsored text link made the sale.  I didn't
even do my usual comparison shopping.  I was looking for information, and
found it.

Feel free to tell that to your next client.  Just be ready for the pained
look in their eyes, followed by the deep denial and rationalization.  But
at least you tried.

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>