[thelist] Building a Better Search Engine

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Dec 27 09:46:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Smith" <rob.smith at THERMON.com>
Subject: [thelist] Building a Better Search Engine

> I'm using SQL Server 2k on a pc. ASP 2.0 is my current language of
> preference.
>
> I need a search engine makeover. Any advice?!

Rob,

Sorry, I'm late into the thread.  SQL Server has pretty good full text
search capabilities.  Try using the ones built into the server.  The T-SQL
keywords to look at are CONTAINS and CONTAINSTABLE.  CONTAINSTABLE is the
more powerful of the two syntaxes and will return rankings of the results.
At first it seems complex to use, but just give it a once over and see if
it'll work for you.  I found it to be very powerful for the level of effort
required to make it work.

ref:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_
tsqlcon_6lyk.asp