[thelist] survey says...

Iva Koberg iva at livestoryboard.com
Sat Dec 28 18:48:01 CST 2002

> Keith:
> Does anyone else have statistics/experience on the success or failure
> of using a Windows app interface instead of a web interface? Or any
> interface other than click-ity-click hop-ity-hop hyper-linking?

I don't get this - a link may look like a tab interface in a web app.
What's the real question: desktop vs. web app?

>> sasha:
>> Who says a Windows app is even easy to navigate?  A "Windows
>> app" would mean that it is built based on Windows (unless
>> you're using the term "windows" genericly, instead of MS
>> Windows), which is hardly intuitive, so calling it "easy"
>> becomes relative because it is something users are already
>> familiar with after 7 years of brainwashing by Billy.

I see your point, but 'familiar' often translates to 'easy' for users.
It's not to say that this is good, but it's quite a challenge to be
innovative (even knowing that you have a better way of doing something)
and at the same time build a UI that users find easy and intuitive at
least when it comes to common tasks. Consider something as simple as the
'Save' icon, which is most often represented by a diskette... I don't
even know if I have a diskette drive on any of my machines, but if I ask
users to click a CD or HD icon in a web app, they'll complain.
best,
i.

Iva Koberg
www.livestoryboard.com