[thelist] Links and Spiders

Mark Gallagher fuddlemark at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 29 10:04:22 CST 2002

From: Administrative HQ <english_offline at yahoo.com>

<snip />

>1. How can I know if another site has linked to mine
>(and, preferably, who it is)?

Your referrer logs, if you can access them, should tell you.  You can also
setup a counter that'll record it for you, using sitemeter or some similar
service.

Many search engines will also tell you.  For example, if Google has indexed
a page with a link to yours (assuming yours is indexed as well), you merely
have to search for:

link:http://www.example.com/

Or whatever your page happens to be.

>2. Can search engine robots access pages which require
>login with user name and password (where my outward
>bound links are located)?

Depends on how you've set the password-protection up.  Probably not.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/