[thelist] Anyone need a browser CD?

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Sun Dec 29 20:21:01 CST 2002

OK folks, it's a late Christmas present for anyone who is on a slow modem
connection.

I got a report today from someone who told me that a page of mine crashed
her browser.  I was sure it was Netscape 4.

Boy was I surprised... She was using IE 4.  Yup.  v4.72.3110 to be precise.

I was shocked, I was appalled, I was stupified.

Apparently her modem connection dies on her whenever she tries to download
a large program, so she's never bothered to upgrade.

Well, first I told her that she had to try Opera (since it's only 3 mb
instead of 10, 20, 75mb like some of the others).

Secondly I told her that I'd send her a CD with some newer browsers on it.

So I've downloaded

IE6 (and SP1, and the cumulative security patch for IE/6/sp1)
Mozilla 1.2.1
Mozilla 1.3 Alpha
Netscape 7.01
Opera 6.05 with Java
Opera 7 beta2 with Java
Phoenix 0.5

That's about 190mb worth of browsers.

a) Is there anything else that ought to be on that CD?

b) Is there anyone else out there who needs one of these CDs?  I mean
someone who is stuck behind an old slow modem and has put off upgrading
because of it?  If so, send me your address and I'll try to get out CDs
later this week.  No charge... if you want to send a couple bucks to
someone, register Opera... if that's too much, send a donation to Evolt,
but it's not a requirement...

Hrm... I'll throw in a free PDF/DOC version of my Opera Lover series
too.... and maybe a copy of OpenOffice.org 643C too ;-)

Anyway, please reply off-list,

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>