[thelist] Designing ErrorDocs

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed Jan 1 16:17:00 CST 2003

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:34:51PM -0800, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > > I wouldn't recommend an automatic redirect, and certainly not
> > > as quickly as
> > > 5 seconds for a page with tiny print in a light color font.

> > It really doesn't matter to me if someone can read or not - since they
> > have reached a no-no directory - they are redirected to the what's new
> > page - or the top most page where the navigation is available.

> in that case why have a page display at all? maybe you should have a
> blank page display for 1 second or less and then redirect or just allow
> the standard "Directory Browsing Disabled" page display? or maybe a
> similar message?

Or perhaps set the directory to be executable but not readable,
or dis-allow directory listings in a .htaccess (or equivilant).

There's already means to do this by defaults, no point reinventing the wheel
and all that. (o:

- Kevin

p.s. I have to add that trying to hide stuff on your site like this is mean.
The web wouldn't be the medium it is today if people couldn't look at the
source and learn from others.  Fair enough you might get ripped of, but trying
to hide your content restricts people from learning from you they way you've
learned from others.