[thelist] Designing ErrorDocs

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed Jan 1 16:53:01 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 04:28:52PM -0600, David Bindel wrote:
> > Or perhaps set the directory to be executable but not
> > readable, or dis-allow directory listings in a .htaccess (or
> > equivilant).

> No, I don't believe that would work at all.  If you can't read it, how
> is the browser supposed to?  It would prevent the browser from loading
> the stylesheet also.  Yet another example of "If It's On the Web, It Can
> Be Viewed/Pirated/etc.", a derivative of "Published Means Public."

You can't prevent it being read (if you want it to work) as you say,
but you can prevent a directory listing through file permissions.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~p/test/evolt/
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~p/test/evolt/moo.txt

The directory has executable permissions but not readable.

Though, it's not really much use if you ask me. (:

- Kevin