[thelist] tabs v spaces

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Jan 2 04:41:01 CST 2003

>   in coding are tabs better than spaces?  Do
>   spaces create heavier files than tabs...?
>
>   also files that are nicely indented should they
>   be un-indented when uploading....?

Purely my personal opinions:
I use tabs 'cause I'm lazy, but plan to switch to spaces because they're an
ASCII character instead of a control character. (They make me happy. Is that
a good enough reason?)

I believe (but have no documentation, it being 2:30 a.m. and me being
zombified) that each control character is +/- one byte, each space is +/-
one byte, so tabs would theoretically make for smaller file sizes.

Unless you have some reason to really really really trim your file size by
getting rid of all those indent spaces/tabs, you're gonna have to re-indent
them next time you touch the code, right? Even on a dial-up connection, it's
going to take a *lot* of spaces to add any real weight to the page.

joel