[thelist] Free Tip on Outlook 2k

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Fri Jan 3 08:39:01 CST 2003

Hi list,

I was just looking at my "TheList" Outlook folder and there are nearly
20,000 messages there now, of which 15,857 are marked as unread. I've been
with the list for nearly a year now and I'd like to keep those messages for
the future. A lot of them are major problems I've had and have relied on
thelist for help. So here's my tip on keeping them:

<tip type="Archiving Your Personal Evolt List for Outlook 2K"
author="Rob.Smith">
This is an excerpt from MS's knowledge base:

OL2000: (CW) How to Create a New Personal Folders (.pst) File
PSS ID Number: Q195717
Article Last Modified on 02-23-2001

·	Microsoft Outlook 2000

NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the
Corporate Workgroup/Other option. This option allows you to use Messaging
Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your
installation type, on the Help Menu click About Microsoft Outlook. In About
Microsoft Outlook you should see "Corporate" if you have the Corporate
Workgroup installation.
Summary
Occasionally, it may be necessary to create a new or an additional personal
folders (.pst) file for use with Microsoft Outlook 2000. This article
describes the steps necessary to create a new personal folders (.pst) file
and to import items into it from another personal folders (.pst) file.

More Information
How to Create a New Personal Folders (.pst) File
1.	On the File menu, click Exit and Log Off.
2.	Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
3.	Double-click the Mail (or Mail and Fax) icon.
4.	On the Services tab, click Show Profiles.
5.	Click to select the profile you want to add a new personal folders
(.pst) file to and click Properties.
6.	On the Services tab, click Add.
7.	In the Available Information Services list, click Personal Folders,
and then click OK.
8.	In Create/Open Personal Folders File type a name for your new
personal folders (.pst) file with a .pst extension, and then click Open.
9.	In Create Microsoft Personal Folders you may change the name that
will be listed in Outlook for this Personal Folders file, and click OK, OK,
and then click Close.
When you restart Outlook, you will see the name of the new personal folders
(.pst) file in the Folders List.
How to Import Items from an Old Personal Folders (.pst) file to the New File
1.	On the File menu, click Import And Export.

NOTE: If Import and Export is not available as a menu item, hover your
pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu and then click Import
and Export.
2.	From the list of options, click Import from another program or file,
and then click Next.
3.	In Import A File, click Personal Folder File(.pst), and then click
Next.
4.	In File To Import, type the full path and file name of the personal
folders (.pst) file to be imported, and then click Next.
5.	Click to select the folder to be imported from Select the folder to
import from list, and then specify the destination for the folder.
If you created the new personal folders (.pst) file because of a problem
with the old one, you should use care in importing items from the old file
into the new file. Import only those items necessary, otherwise you may also
import corrupted or damaged items. For example, you do not need to import
the Outbox, and you may not need to import Notes or Journal items. You may
need to run the Import Export utility multiple times to get everything you
need without importing any folders that are not necessary.
</tip>

Good luck and thanks for the continuing ideas,

Rob.Smith