[thelist] Genealogy database schema

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Fri Jan 3 16:49:01 CST 2003

Steve Lewis wrote:

> Mike Migurski wrote:
>
>> I like the gencom/mormon approach that someone else referred to in
>> this thread, but it's definitely overkill for a single-family
>
> I disagree that it is overkill.  I set my grandmother up with

    I understood Mike's comment to mean that adapting the complexity of the
Gedcom Data Model [1,2] to a personal genealogy database would be overkill,
not that using any particular application based on the Gedcom model would be
overkill. His reply was in line with the original post in the thread in
which the person asked how to model a database to hold his personal
genealogy information.
    In other words: it would make sense to model a personal database on a
subset of the Gedcom data model, but that trying to implement the whole
thing would be overkill.

1. http://www.gendex.com/gedcom55/55model1.gif
2. http://www.gendex.com/gedcom55/55model2.gif

James Aylard