[thelist] Standards advice

Daniel Fascia danfascia at totalise.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 21:49:02 CST 2003

I have the task of redeveloping www.eusu.ed.ac.uk which
as you can all see is a university site. That means it has to work
on some nasty old browsers such as NS4 since for some reason
27% of people at ed.ac.uk still use it...

I have noticed that many large scale commercial sites such as
yahoo and amazon do not use more modern standards such as
XHTML and never in fact specify doctypes.

I am assuming that this is to botch the browser into a sort of version
4 mode which they know will work on most platforms

Anybody know any different reasons for this??

and...

Should I go for this route for maximum compatibility or stick to XHTML?

just a little confused why some of the webs biggest corporations dont
pay as much attention to standards as we all seem to