[thelist] What Hex Do *You* Get?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Jan 4 17:35:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 6:19 PM

> bend my ear all you like.  my video card only supports 256 color, 16 bit,
> and 32 bit.  no 24 bit here.

I've always been curious about this, I suppose.  The standard color coding
used for web colors is a 24 bit color--8 bits for each color.  24 bits has
been the standard for so long that it makes me wonder why your video card
wouldn't even have it as an option.  The science behind why they started to
use 24 bits in the first place was that the average human eye can only
discern about 256 distinct levels of intensity per primary hue.  Going above
24 bits for monitors only makes sense if the colors must exactly match
something in the real world...

... I may have just answered my own question.

-joshua