[thelist] IE6 cookies

Dan Stockton prosayist at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 17:46:01 CST 2003

Whereby I don't have access to IE6 for testing (and don't know what I'd test
if I did) I turn to somebody else to help me solve somebody else's problem.
This from a client:__________________________________________

I set cookies via my website to and store some user prefs, etc. I've gotten
the cookies to work just fine, expire when they're supposed to, etc. The
problem I'm having is that the cookies are not being read by browsers of
some users.

I've worked with them on a one-on-one basis to try to determine the problem.
They have the same browser and version as I do - IE 6.0. And I've made sure
they have cookies enabled and no popup blocker programs that might be
disabling cookies. Nevertheless, it doesn't work for them. I then suggest to
them to use Mozilla, and the cookies work.

What I dont understand is that some users can't get it to work to begin
with. Some users have no problems with it, then all of a sudden, it doesn't
work.

I would assume it is a browser issue, but I use the same browser as they do
and its working fine for me.

With 'privacy preferences in IE' (TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > PRIVACY) he's
had users change the setting to "ACCEPT ALL COOKIES", specify to allow
cookies coming from his domain

His compact P3P (from PHP.net):
header('P3P: CP="NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM"');
{evidently "this will enable the cookie to survive any IE-6 privacy
settings}

The unaccepted policy file ("W3C's P3P validator doesn't seem to like it"):
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<META xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2002/01/P3Pv1">
<POLICY-REFERENCES>
<POLICY-REF about="p3p.xml">
<INCLUDE>/*</INCLUDE>
</POLICY-REF>
</POLICY-REFERENCES>
</META>

http://www.kissordiss.net/

Please, listers; tell me what to tell him (tell me why it's doin' this)
thanks,
-Dan