[thelist] css: bottom alignment

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Jan 7 14:48:01 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:36:31PM -0800, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> it seems to me that centering up and down, and bottom alignment of
> elements is not very well supported among most browsers? or should i
> say, ie?
>
> i would really like this to work...
>
> #gotosg {
> 	height: 50px;
> 	}
>
> #gotosg p {
> 	vertical-align: bottom;
> 	font-family: arial, sans-serif;
> 	font-size: xx-small;
> 	}
>
> but alas, the only part that does not work is the "vertical-align:
> bottom;" statement. anyway to get what i want?

Actually, the vertical-align property probably does work, it just doesn't do
what you expect.

You haven't specified what #gotosg is, but I'll assume that its a block level
element as you are putting a paragraph inside it.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#line-height

  'vertical-align'
     Applies to:   inline-level and 'table-cell' elements

So "working" is the same as "ignoring".

You can set it display: table-cell, but Internet Explorer doesn't support that.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
"You cannot rewrite history, not one line."