[thelist] css: bottom alignment

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Jan 7 15:01:01 CST 2003

David Dorward <mailto:evolt at david.us-lot.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:36:31PM -0800, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > it seems to me that centering up and down, and bottom alignment of
> > elements is not very well supported among most browsers? or should
> > i say, ie?
> >
> > i would really like this to work...
[snip]
> > but alas, the only part that does not work is the "vertical-align:
> > bottom;" statement. anyway to get what i want?
>
> Actually, the vertical-align property probably does work, it just
> doesn't do what you expect.
>
> You haven't specified what #gotosg is, but I'll assume that its a
> block level element as you are putting a paragraph inside it.

you are correct.

#gotosg is a div which (as you have seen) contains a <p>. like so...

i was assuming it worked like <td valign="bottom"> would. i guess not. i
*think* i understand what the link (that you referred to) is saying, but
could you explain again, maybe with an example? (if you have the time
and feel the desire of course. ;) )

thanks,
chris.