[thelist] Grabbing output from js to a file

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Wed Jan 8 01:58:01 CST 2003

At 02:12 AM Wednesday 1/8/2003, aleem wrote:

>Keith, just wanna thank you for the info and the great
>link. It's not even been 10 mins since my last email,
>and I got the whole thing implemented. Simply pasted
>the script for reading files along with the HTA header
>into my existing page, followed the instructions for
>writing to files and it's working beautifully... a real
>time saver :)

Kool!! I too was blown away at how easy HTAs are.

After sending my earlier comments about using HTA as a way to write your
JavaScript output to the user's hard drive I realized I left out something.

As I explained it, you can have your user download the HTA and run it as an
app. BUT, you can also have them access it from your webserver in their
browser. They will get a prompt from IE to run the HTA, if I remember right
it's a prompt to run an ActiveX. From then on the page is an HTA and can
access their hard drive. There is a penalty for doing it this way. If they
download and run it as an app from their hard drive you can place all of
your javascript in a compiled dll that is accessed by the HTA to protect
your Javascript code, if delivered from the website your code is available
to "view source".

Keith
cache at dowebscentral.com