[thelist] Safari details + UA string (was Apple releases new browser for OS

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 8 22:53:02 CST 2003

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> <voice tone="stern">
>
> Personally I find all this stuff about text/xml+xhtml complete and total
> nonsense (though I'd never heard of the mathml MIME type before and this
> may
> be another case).
>
> The MIME type of an HTML page is the good old time-honoured text/html which
> is about the only thing on the entire WWW to have a guaranteed browser
> compatibility of 100% and has served us faithfully over the past ten years.

Well, see, mathml is a markup language for showing maths stuff, which at
some stage or other i'm going to want to use. It's meant to be served as
text/xml however, since the document now includes non html xml as well
as html. So, at first I tried sending text/xml to browsers that accepted
that and text/html to the rest.

Then I loaded it in IE. the morons responsible for the xml parser in
ie/win decided to make it a validating parser, so it goes and attempts
to download the doctype. All 500 odd k of it. Furthermore it then fucks
up reading the doctype meaning IE users see an error message.

So I can't trust what IE says there, so I decided to restrict it to
browsers I know it works on, ie Gecko ones. That's why I'm pissed off.

I hate having to do browser detects as much as anyone, in fact I loathe
it. There's not much to be done, however.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/