[thelist] best way to check for valid user/password in PHP

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jan 9 13:34:01 CST 2003

At 11:26 AM 1/9/2003, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
>I'm having a bit of trouble with checking vs. a valid username and
>password in my PHP script. The password check seems to work but the
>username check does not. Here is my code:

>$result = @mysql_query("SELECT password, username FROM reguser WHERE
>username = '$username'");

Why don't you just pass both via SQL and see if you get a row returned?

SELECT <UserInfo> FROM reguser
         WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password'

if you have data, success. no data, not a valid login.
--
Anthony Baratta
President