[thelist] CF MX dev edition for OS X

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Jan 9 19:32:01 CST 2003

At 7:57 PM 1/7/3, Erik Mattheis wrote:
> How come I had to dig for this news?

We didn't make the keynote, then got buried under the list comment on
Safari. The people who get it, get it big, but it looks like we've flown
under the radar with porting JRun and CF-dev to Mac OS X.

> Anyone want to speculate or hint at how long before
> MM releases a deployable version of CF server for OS X?

Not sure, if or when.

Getting the J2EE substrate via JRun was the first step... that gives us a
platform to port ColdFusion atop. Right now the core ColdFusion features
run atop this Java layer. But the major portion of work in a development
server is in performance work under load, across configurations...
clustering, load-balancing, more. If JRun sells well then we'll know that
there's a real market for production serving on this platform.

The big win, though, is in now being able to test ColdFusion applications
on a standalone Mac, instead of just creating them and having to do testing
across a network. People are doing standalone creation on a Mac now.

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/