[thelist] Mercury Mail [Urgent]

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jan 9 22:45:01 CST 2003

At 07:50 PM 1/9/2003, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

>Does this mean it was still relaying them despite my messages, and if so
>what are the settings I should give Mercury to disallow relaying? If
>not, why does it say OK after each one, and how can i block these
>spammers from being able to connect at all?

 From the Source:

http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=EDB9806D-FBB4-4211-8BE31194FD7DC56A

Short Version:

http://mail-abuse.org/tsi/ar-fix.html#mercury

Mercury

     Systems: Novell, Win/NT, Win/95
     Info:    http://www.pmail.com/

The Mercury mailer is an NLM for Novell servers. Provisions to prevent
unauthorized relay have been added as of version 1.40. If you are running a
previous version, please upgrade.

The Mercury/32 mailer is re-designed for Windows/95 and Windows/NT.
Provisions to prevent unauthorized relay have been added as of version
2.11. If you are running a previous version, please upgrade.

To disable relaying, the following text should be added to the [MercuryS]
section of "mercury.ini":

         [MercuryS]
         Relay : 0
         Strict_Relay : 1
         Allow : 2.3.4.5 # The offsite backup (MX server)
         Allow : 192.168.XXX.0   # Our local network
         Allow : 192.168.YYY.5   # A single other machine we allow

For some older versions, that the "allow/refuse" entries under [MercuryS]
must end with the line:

         Refuse: 0.0.0.0

Current versions (including 1.47) reportedly do not need the Refuse: line.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys