[thelist] focusing apps in Jaguar

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Jan 10 03:51:02 CST 2003

I've been trying to adjust to Jaguar for a few days and am frustrated,
In X.1.5, I could option-click on an application icon in the dock and
it would bring all windows of that app to the front and hide all
others, This is not working in 10.2.3 - if I option-click repeatedly,
it eventually shows only that app, but it's confusing to the point of
seeming arbitrary.

Is there any way to get a particular app to focus and hide all others
in 10.2.3? This is was useful to people like webdesigners who need to
frequently switch between multiple apps while deposing of the
temporarily unwanted clutter.

I know there's third party stuff that will do this as I used them in a
transitional period, adjusting to X ... but my goal for a long time has
been to adjust to X by using stuff that makes it behave more like OS 9;
now that I've dedicated myself to pure Jaguar, I'd like to work with
just it's naked GUI ... but am seeing myself frustrated in being able
to bring all windows of a particular app to the front and hiding all
others,

How does one do it? Can one do it?