[thelist] "Clickable" PDF's

Rob Sylvan rsylvan at attbi.com
Fri Jan 10 10:01:01 CST 2003

thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> Ok, well I am noticing (for the first time, apparently) that
> PDF's I create using the "Create Adobe PDF" function in MS Word
> will create a PDF file in which the website URL's are "live," and
> that's great, but there is the other side of being able to link
> to sections within the document itself (like the name/target
> convention in HTML) that I haven't figured out yet.

If you are creating the PDF's from Word than you'll need to create the
internal links (such as a table of contents) in Word, and then adjust the
PDF conversion settings.

In Word, from the menu bar, go to File -> Create Adobe PDF or Adobe ->
Change Conversion Settings (I've seen it both ways, don't ask me why)

In the resulting dialog box, click the Office tab and check the items you
want (notably "Cross-References & TOC links)

Then click the Convert to PDF icon.

> Maybe I am mistaken, too, in that I *might* have a full version of Acrobat
> available and just don't know it. Thanks for the info!

It sounds to me as though you have the full version of acrobat installed on
your system, because my understanding is that when you install the full
version it adds the "Create PDF" macros to Word. Look in your Program files
directory and see if it is there.