[thelist] JS cookie question (ignore previous)

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 13:24:01 CST 2003

--- Hans-Frédéric Fraser <hfraser at videotron.ca> wrote:

> > Might it have something to do with the cookie length? Its odd to
> get
> > results with the = sign in it...
>
> it is exactly that you did not take the = sign into account!
> here is a basic function i made to get simple cookie information!
>

> function getCookieData(whatCookie){
>     var myCookie = new String(document.cookie);
>     var myCookieHeader = whatCookie+"=";
>     var myCookieStart = myCookie.indexOf(myCookieHeader);
>     var myCookieEnd = myCookie.indexOf(';',myCookieStart);
>
>     // if there is only one cokie you do not have the semicolon at
> the end
>     if (myCookieEnd == -1){
>         myCookieEnd = myCookie.length;
>     }
>     // extract data and check if the cookie exist
>     if( myCookie.indexOf(myCookieHeader) != -1){
>         myCookieStart = myCookieHeader.length;
>         return myCookie.substring(myCookieStart, myCookieEnd);
>         }
>     else{
>         // if the cookie does not exist well ... do what ever you
> want
>         return 'noCookie';
>     }
> }
>
> have fun!

This function seems to give me the WHOLE cookie (or at least, the
cookie up to the value of the supplied parameter). What I need is
only the cookie value of the label I specify, If I specify pid114 for
the cookie pid114=3, then I want ONLY that returned, not the whole
string.

Can I fix my original function to do that? (You said I have a problem
with the =)

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();