[thelist] Collaborative Environment Suggestions

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Fri Jan 10 19:16:01 CST 2003

Actually, phpCollab doesn't do version control. The so-called CVS
integration is actually just a list of instructions for setting up CVS so
that it has the same password as your phpCollab account. Not particularly
useful.

The best thing to do is install cvs-server (it's on your RedHat CD, or get
the source tarball and build it yourself from
http://ccvs.cvshome.org/servlets/ProjectDownloadList?action=download&dlID=227 )

CVS doesn't do file-locking when somebody checks out code. It's based
around people submitting various versions at any time and changes being
merged into the code base.

You'll also need people to use a CVS client. There are several web
interfaces to CVS, or there's WinCVS

As an alternative, you might look into SCCS, which supports file-locking,
so only one person can work on a file at any time.

SCCS is good in a strictly-organised office environment with small,
well-coordinated teams of developers. CVS is far better with a loose-knit
group of telecommuters.

Be warned, getting used to CVS can take some time. It has a reasonably
steep learning curve as an administrator.

- seb

--
seb can be found at http://poked.org