[thelist] netscape and the disappearing cell

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Sat Jan 11 01:42:01 CST 2003

'Volters,

I have a *fairly* simple, liquid, 4 column table.
Navigation on the left, next column is a one-pixel gif I'm stretching from
top to bottom, (i know, bad form), followed by my main body, and finished up
by the column on the right. This right-hand column has some nested table
stuff going on;

First, a table (table_box) to contain all my side bar box tables.
Each side bar box table contains two rows of one td each, (title, then
info).

+---+-+-------+---+
+   +.+       + n +
+ n +.+ main  + e +
+ a +.+ body  + s +
+ v +.+       + t +
+ i +.+       + e +
+ g +.+       + d +
+ a +.+       +   +
+ t +.+       + t +
+ a +.+       + a +
+ t +.+       + b +
+ i +.+       + l +
+ o +.+       + e +
+ n +.+       + s +
+   +.+       +   +
+---+-+-------+---+

In NN 4.X, those nested tables will NOT show up, unless I set my table_box's
border to at least 1.

If I set border to 0, it disappears.

In IE5, Opera 5, and mozilla, it shows up fine. NN4, it's gone.

Anybody understand that?? And for the record, I've been working on
validating the page, so evidently, I screwed something up. It used to show
up fine. I'm just going crazy trying to figure this out. All my
table/tr/td's all seem to be in order.

and ps...ALSO, on NN4, that main body column wants to ssstrreeettcch way
across the page, even beyond the border, which of course causes a horizontal
scroll bar. And again, all other browsers dont have that problem. And i can
live with that as I don't think we're getting that many NN4 viewers anyway,
but that disappearing column thing is kinda dis-heartening.

Here's a link, if anybody's interested.
http://www.wildbirdsac.com/index_temp.html
and please disregard the mess. I got SSI, some semi CSS going on, along with
nested tables :)

I also have some funky borders turned on, so I can see what's goin' on.

Sorry for rambling on, I'm just getting pretty frusterated.

as always, tia,

-Roger Harness