[thelist] Win2K: Changing "localhost"

Eike Pierstorff eike.pierstorff at dynamique.de
Sat Jan 11 13:34:01 CST 2003

At 14:18 11.01.2003 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:06 AM 1/11/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>'127.0.0.1  localhost' *is* the "loopback" address; your public IP
>>has nothing to do with this.
>
>Yes, this is so.
>
>>Can you ping localhost? ping 127.0.0.1? If so, your 'loopback' is
>>definitely working.
>
>I can. It seems then, that I misstated my problem. The problem, then is not
>that I can't access localhost, but rather that IE can't access it. I bet
>it's got something to do with my proxy server, then. Thanks. That gives me
>another direction to look at.

You mentioned Apache in a earlier post, so maybe it's a problem with
Apache, not with Windows?
Look in your httpd.conf -> "ServerName".

# 127.0.0.1 is the TCP/IP local loop-back address, often named localhost. Your
# machine always knows itself by this address. If you use Apache strictly for
# local testing and development, you may use 127.0.0.1 as the server name.
#
ServerName 127.0.0.1