[thelist] Head Hunters, Staffing Agencis and Job Hunting Tips

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Mon Jan 13 11:06:01 CST 2003

You should do all of those things.  I haven't had much experience with head
hunters and/or staffers, so I can't really comment on that.  Basically, any
possible avenue you can think of to look for a job should be explored.  I
graduated in August myself, and was able to have a job in July before my
actuall graduation (Although I did start actively pursuing the job market
around March).  Expect a couple of months to go by before you get any real
good nibbles (if it happens before that, bonus! but plan for the worst).
Also, I find that probably the best way to find a job in the present market
is networking through friends, family, and aquaitances at school.  My
experience was that I sent out about 30 resumes to different positions that
I had found on Monster with very little feedback.  All of the staffing
agencies I contacted didn't want to talk to me because I didn't have 3-5
years of experience (this is probably the biggest hurdle you will have to
overcome).  Through friends of mine I landed a very promising interview with
Price Waterhouse (I didn't get that one) and another interview with a
company local to Tampa (where I live) that I did get.

The most promising leads will come from people you know, use them.

Hope this helps,

Rob W.