[thelist] text-based html editor

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Mon Jan 13 11:19:01 CST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:48:33 -0500, john-paul <jwalton at four09.org> wrote:

> I use a Mac, so my favorite text-based html editor is BBedit. However, i
> need to recommend an editor to a client who is using windows. What's the
> best ~text-based~ HTML editor for windows (or if not best, the
> most-comparable to BBedit)?

I don't know BBedit directly, but I know and love UltraEdit
(www.ultraedit.com).

What I love most about UE is the easy way of editing files right on the
server (integrated FTP).  I've made my own macros (alt+p gives me <p></p>
and so forth) which speed up hand coding quite a bit.

I also own CSE HTMLValidator (www.htmlvalidator.com) and TopStyle
(www.bradsoft.com/topstyle) and the only flaw in both programs is that they
both lack integrated FTP.

> note: the client will be writing code for a site hosted on Apache... so
> the soft has to be able to save files with "unix" line-breaks..

Any decent client ought to be able to do this.  I know UltraEdit can.

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>
30 Days to Becoming an Opera (6) Lover http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/