[thelist] zope: a few questions

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Jan 13 13:21:01 CST 2003

george donnelly <mailto:list at zettai.net> wrote:

> what protocol does html-kit use to connect? zope comes with built-in
> FTP and WebDAV servers which are very convenient for remote-editing
> (I use them all the time). Did you start the FTP and WebDAV servers
> on your zope? on what ports?

i believe html-kit can connect via ftp. by "ftp and webdav" do you mean
that these two technologies work together or are these two separate ways
of connecting to the site? i mean, can i connect via ftp and edit my
pages or do i also need to turn on webdav? btw, where do i turn these
services on?

> I suspect that you're going to encounter a lot of frustration trying
> to integrate ASP and Zope.

darn.

what exactly is zope used for then? in what cases is it good for? to be
more specific, if i had an e-comm website and i wanted to find a system
that i could use to manage my content* would zope not be a good
solution? would i be able to integrate the two?

chris.

* by content i mean articles and a faq and stuff like that which relates
to the industry the site is in. i.e. sports. so to sum it all, a
standard e-comm system would manage and serve content for the products
themsevles (i guess this would be a shopping cart) and then zope would
serve up content related to the sports industry. sports news, how to
throw a curve-ball article, etc.