[thelist] Head Hunters, Staffing Agencis and Job Hunting Tips

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Jan 14 09:21:01 CST 2003

Sean wrote:

> If you have a company in mind, approach that company directly.

> 5) What method have a high success rate?  Get out of the door and down on
> the street!  Seriously, comb yer hair, clip on the tie, and boogie on down.
> Unsolicited resumes go to the circular file.  A flesh and blood person at
> least gets a chance to make a first impression.

Sorry, I can't imagine this working, anywhere.

You just don't walk into companies without the name of a person
*and* an appointment. You'll see, at best, a security guard or
receptionist who assuredly doesn't care how good a developer you
are, and likely doesn't know who *would* care.

> This is 40-45% of your job search.  That is, about 16 hours a week.  Going
> to companies you've targeted and researched as places you'd want to work and
> can utilize your skills.

Tracking down contacts at those companies is worthwhile; I wouldn't
waste a single minute going there in person.

> 6) People get jobs when one person says to another person, 'I know Aleem,
> he's a good egg.  Give him a shot."  Your #1 resource is the people you know
> and who've know you.

Total agreement on that one :-)

YMMV,
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com