[thelist] Multi-Part Forms

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Wed Jan 15 13:19:01 CST 2003

I apologize to those of you who are on WDL, and will be seeing this here...

I have a 3-part form that, once it's filled out completely, places all of
the values in the database.  On the first screen, the user selects the State
they live in, which will determine a couple of lists of values that will be
displayed on page two.  A selection on screen two then decides a list of
values on screen three.

I could just do it the easy way, and submit the values from each page to an
intermediate page for server-side validation (PHP), but I don't want to do
that. I want "builderAdd1.php" to post the data to itself and validate it
there, so that any errors can be returned to the user at the field level.
If all the values pass my validation scripts, then I want the page to move
on to "builderAdd2.php."  My not-so-good solution is to store the variables
from screen 1 and 2 in the $_SESSION and then store them in the database all
at once after the use clicks SUBMIT on the last screen.  I think the only
other thing I need to mention is that when the values pass validation, I am
forwarding to the next screen with the header() function.