[thelist] Weird window targetting problem with javascript links

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Wed Jan 15 16:21:01 CST 2003

Erik Mattheis wrote:

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this would be the
> expected behavior because the new window contained content from a
> different domain - so you can't target by name.

    That appears to be the case. With the test page, if I click the link to
open the new window and then click the link again before the browser has
loaded the page, the browser will target that same window for the second
click. But once the page reaches a certain level of completion (probably
when the onload event fires for the document, but possibly earlier), the
browser will pop a new window in response to an additional click. Tested on
IE 5.01 SP2/Win 32.

James Aylard
jaylard at members.evolt.org