[thelist] Weird window targetting problem with javascript links

Roger Ly rogerly at bareviking.com
Wed Jan 15 16:28:00 CST 2003

>> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this would be the
>> expected behavior because the new window contained content from a
>> different domain - so you can't target by name.

>    That appears to be the case. With the test page, if I click the
link to
>open the new window and then click the link again before the browser
has
>loaded the page, the browser will target that same window for the
second
>click. But once the page reaches a certain level of completion
(probably
>when the onload event fires for the document, but possibly earlier),
the
>browser will pop a new window in response to an additional click.
Tested on
>IE 5.01 SP2/Win 32.

Interesting.  Is it just a bug then that when I call
javascript:alert(window.name); on the new window, that the new window
becomes something that I can target properly again?  It seems that if I
couldn't target a window hosted by another domain, then querying the
window's name shouldn't change anything.  However, once I do that, I can
target the window with each subsequent click on the link (not just the
first time).

Roger