[thelist] Re: PHP and / instead of ?

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Fri Jan 17 06:41:00 CST 2003

Tim Luoma said:

> Instead of
>
> 	/path/to/this?20020704
>
> I'd like to be able to use
>
> 	/path/to/this/20020704
>
> I read the PHP entry for 'explode' but I think it's beyond me
> (my PHP is pretty rudimentary).

I went through this very exercise a few months back. In the parent directory
of my site, I added an .htaccess file that looks like this...

<FilesMatch "^index$">
	ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</FilesMatch>

This forces any file called "index" to be executed as PHP.  Since it's
called index, it's still what the server points to when it enters the
directory.  Although I may be forgetting something here, I don't think that
I did anything with Apache to set this particular part up.

Then, in my index file, I have a PHP script that looks like this...

<?php

$path=$_SERVER['PATH_INFO'];
$content=explode("/", $path);
$content=array_reverse($content);

if($content[0]!=""){
	$content=$content[0] . ".php";
	include $content; }
		else {
			include 'home.php'; }
?>

It takes the requested path (http://www.server.com/home), turns it into an
array, reverses it, then adds the .php extension to 'home' and loads the
'home.php' file into the window.  You can see it in action at
http://www.randalrust.com/r2/.

If you have any particular questions, let me know, I'd be more than willing
to give you a hand with this.