[thelist] xml vs. regular database

Martyn Haigh martyn.haigh at virgincosmetics.com
Fri Jan 17 09:33:02 CST 2003

Hey,

Sorry for butting in but I've just read David's email - and I was wondering
if you could give me a helpful shove in the right direction.

I'm trying to do exactly what it sounds like you (Dave) already have done.

I have data in a database and at the moment I am pulling from the DB and
just writing it out in xhtml.  I'd like to add an xml layer to that - but
have no real idea of how to start.

I'm trying desperately to separate my style from my content so that I can do
lots of different styled sites - but all grabbing the same data from the
same DB (I think I need to use different XMS files for the different styling
- right?)

I think that this step is overwhelming me
<quote> Also, many of us (me at least) use both: I have a system whereby I
fetch an ADO Recordset from the database (using ASP & VBScript), then run
the recordset through a custom VBScript class which converts the recordset
to a custom hierarchical XML document for me, then I pass that document
in-memory through an XSLT stylesheet and write out the results to the
browser.</quote>

I have the DB going and I'm pulling the data from it, but it's completely
over my head when you mention
... then run the recordset through a custom VBScript class which converts
the recordset to a custom hierarchical XML document for me, then I pass that
document in-memory through an XSLT stylesheet and write out the results to
the browser...

what kinda of custom VBScript class?  Could you give me an example?

And what is the XSLT stylesheet?
I thought it went like this
XML - your data file
XSL - your language file (this is where you stick your html that goes around
the data in the XML file - right?)
XSD - your definition file for your xml file...

Or am I just getting completely confused.

Thank you

Martyn Haigh

Site Developer

DISCLAIMER: The information in this email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by
anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.