[thelist] To print or not to print

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 00:16:00 CST 2003

> From: Boris Mann <boris at bmannconsulting.com>
>
> I've just had a question about javascript "print" links. I've never
> used them myself, but I do know that some sites use them.
[...]
> Personally, I much prefer a "printer-friendly" link that leads to a
> mainly text version of the current page, which the user can then print
> using their standard File --> Print operation. I know it doesn't work
> on the Mac, and probably not on Linux.
[...]

there is a third option...

a print.css file that's intended for printed pages...

it doesn't require any JS, and it doesn't require the user to go to a
new page before hitting the 'print' button... it can reset font faces
and units, hide navigation elements, change the color of things on
the page, and even insert print-friendly logos...

caveats include the fact that it's not supported in less than 5.x
browsers...

example, print a page from this site (other than home page):
http://algonquinstudios.com/

shortly, i'll be posting an update to the city of buffalo site that
uses printer-friendly CSS and even 'inserts' a print-friendly logo
while hiding the rest of the content on the page...

IOW, for the most part, i've given up on print-friendly templates
that require a user to click over to them, and rely on print-friendly
regular page templates (thanks to CSS)... so far, in the sites on
which i've done it, the browser support is >93%...

that and i refuse to use client-side script without a darn good
reason...

--
my latest book project:
  Web Graphics for Non-Designers