[thelist] Re: [WD]: VMWare or Virtual PC for multiple IE installations

mpember at phreaker.net mpember at phreaker.net
Sun Jan 19 18:43:01 CST 2003

The licenses for the various operating systems differ depending on what you want to do with them and what you already have access to.  In the case of Windows, you will need to purchse a license.  VMWare sells OS packages that are optimized to work within the emulated PC.

With the Mac, the emulators require that you have acess to a licensed ROM from an original Mac.  From memory, Mac allow you to use such a ROM on the basis that it is not used at the same time as the original machine it came from.  So turn off you're Mac before running the emualtor.

Then there's th optuion of purchasing a Mac ROM, this avoids any chance of you being done for piracy. :)

The MacOS is another item on your shopping list.  I now that apple used to give away any operating system that was more than one version older than the current release.  However, I haven't seen this since 7.6 was available for download.

I haven't used VirtualPC lately, but if you have any further questions about getting VMWare up and running, I'd be more than wiulling to give you some help.
----
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net