[thelist] Re: [WD]: VMWare or Virtual PC for multiple IE installations

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Sun Jan 19 19:51:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:41:04 -0800, Pat Meeks <pmeeks at msn.com> wrote:

>> > I am wondering if anyone has experience using VMWare and/or Virtual
>> PC.
>
> When you run VMWare, do you have to purchase the operating systems? For
> example, I have XP Pro and I'd like to install IE5---do I need Win98 and
> must I purchase it in addition to VMWare?

There seem to be three questions you are asking:
	Do you need Win98?  Yes
	Must you purchase it? Yes
	Must you purchase it from VMWare?  No.

VMWare basically gives you a "raw computer"... you can install whatever you
want on it, such as Windows98, assuming that you have a CD.

(Of course, I could go off on a rant about the fact that I **paid** for
Win2000 and didn't get a real CD with it, so I couldn't use it on VMWare
even though I have a legal copy of it.  I could go further to say that this
is yet another ridiculously stupid Microsoft policy that does not stop the
black hats from stealing Windows OSes and only hurts the legit folks.  But
that would be useless, so I won't bother.)

> Also, are there Mac emulations,
> and if so, do you need to purchase the OS?

There are no PPC emulators for Intel hardware that I know of, but if there
were you would need to purchase the OS.

You can also purchase Windows OSes as well.

More specific information is easily found on the respective web sites.

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>
30 Days to Becoming an Opera (6) Lover http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/