[thelist] PHP header wierdness

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 12:00:08 CST 2003

I'm checking against a password, and I want to send them back to the
login page if they enter it wrong. If the row returns 0 records, I
have a header sending them back with a message, otherwise I send them
on to the page with another header. Here is my code:

-----------------
//$result is my query

if(mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
{
  $message = "We're sorry, either the user name or password you
entered was incorrect. Please try again.";
  header ("Location: login.php?msg=" . $message);
}

// Get db results
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

$aid   = $row["aid"];
setcookie("aid", $aid, "", "/");

header ("Location: page.php");

The problem is, when I entered wrong info - even though
mysql_num_rows($result) returned 0 as it should, the script still ran
the LAST header, sending them to page.php instead. This is very odd,
how can it jump out of an if loop with a header?

Anyway, I added die(); after my first header and now it works..why?
That seems very odd.

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();