[thelist] To Application or Not ..

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Tue Jan 21 22:34:01 CST 2003

Hey Folks ..

I'm working on a very large Access to web registration application process.

Quick question .. and if anyone has any resources that I can refer to, even
better.

I have "huge" lists on all of my pages.  Currently the data exist in the DB
but it's a big performance hit to keep grabbing the list data from the DB
each time it is required.  Sometimes, it's required on more than one page
(i.e. list of languages (247 of them so far) and a drop down to select Lang1
and Lang2).

I see two possible options, and I'm not sure which is best.  I can save the
data as an Application object or I can write the data to a text file and
loop through it that way (this is what is being used atm).  I'll need to
create an Admin form whereby the user can regenerate (or set to null) the
Application in question or rewrite the text file. Not a problem .. if anyone
has any clue how (if) I could automate this to run, say every 12 hours on
its own, that too would be helpful ..  but isn't the reason for my post.

What's better?  Storing the data as an Application object (is that the right
term?) or to save it as a text file and use an FSO call to the text file
whenever the data are required.  The FSO set up currently being used is
working well.  I'd just like to ensure I'm doing the BEST option. ;)

TIA,

Michele

(Please,  please .. let's NOT make this a discussion on why Access is evil
.. I know, the client has been well informed .. I anticipate a change in the
future, but not before this project is done.)