[thelist] Upgrading to 2000 or XP

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Jan 23 12:09:00 CST 2003

You can continue to run Novell Netware, but you may need updated client
software to install on Win2K or WinXP machines (don't know if this is
free or whether you will have to pay).

If the client is thinking about just loading a new OS, be aware that
machines that run Win98 will likely not run WinXP reliably without (at
least) a memory upgrade -- I recommend 256MB. Win2K may be alright, but
that will depend on the speed/config of each machine and what it is
being used for.

If you are looking to replace a centralized server for Windows desktops
without having to shell out a bunch of money for Win2K Server, try the
Mitel SME Server [1] -- a Linux distribution that can act as a domain
controller and does native Windows file sharing (plus webserver,
gateway, firewall, mail server, DHCP, etc. etc. etc.).

[1] http://www.e-smith.org

HTH,

--
Boris Mann