[thelist] Versioning tool recommendations

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Thu Jan 23 13:52:01 CST 2003

We are primarily developing a website in a Win2k, ASP 3.0 environment.
We're probably going to switch to .NET sometime this year.  We've
recently become a multi-programmer shop and are discovering a need for a
development-environment tool that has:

-"Source-Safe" -like locking of files to keep 2 users from interfering
with each other,
-Strong, easy-to-use versioning tools that enable archiving/restoring
old versions, having any number of "live" versions, "testing" versions,
"under development" versions, and keeping them all straight, deploying
testing versions to "live", deploying "development" versions to testing,
creating new "development" versions starting from the last version, etc
etc etc...
-Fixes for all the other problems we're eventually going to run into
that we don't know about yet.  :)

Any recommendations?